Sunday, March 3, 2013

Week 9: Individual Challenge


NO STARCH AFTER LUNCH
 
 
 
Carbohydrate is our body's preferred source of fuel.  Carbohydrate is found in starchy foods, fruit, milk, vegetables, yogurt, and anything with sugar.  Our brain can't use any other source besides carbohydrate.  Our muscles and liver store carbohydrate as glycogen. 

 
If our muscles and liver are at their capacity for glycogen storage and we eat a LARGE amount of carbohydrate (typically starch or sugar) without having any plans to exercise, then that extra carbohydrate will get stored as fat. 
 
Some people have allergies or insensitivities to gluten which is found in any wheat product or anything made with flour.  Most people know if they have an allergy (called celiac disease) because they deal with horrific symptoms if they take in just a small amount of gluten.  Insensitivities are a bit more subtle maybe just causing bloating or minor GI discomfort. 
 
When it comes to achieving a healthy body weight or a very lean body fat percentage, eating starch later in the day may be hurting more than helping...and this will be a good challenge to find out.
 
Q: What counts as a starch?
A:  Bread, cereal, rice, pasta, quinoa, oatmeal, white potatoes, corn, peas, and sugar
 
Sweet potatoes, squash, and beans are allowed.
 
Q:  What if I want to have one of my "treats" for the week?
A:  If you would like to earn your points for this week, you will need to have your treat no later than lunch, so plan accordingly.
 
Q:  What if I workout at night? 
A:  You can still get in your carbs from fruit, milk, or yogurt.
 
 
Basically, your dinner should look a little like this...with the option of water or milk.
 
 
Your afternoon snack should also be starch-free.  Some options I like:
 
berries (fresh or frozen) & yogurt
just yogurt (loving Liberte brand of Greek yogurt...lemon & strawberry are my faves)
apple or celery & peanut butter (watch portion)
 veggies & hummus
grape tomatoes & cottage cheese
string cheese wrapped in deli meat wrapped in lettuce (and a dab of mustard)
fruit & nuts (watch portion)
protein shake/green smoothie
 
 
If you go out to dinner, restaurants will easily substitute the starch for double veggies. 
 
This challenge is worth 10 points.
 
**For those who are under 18 years old, you just need to have a starch-free dinner, but may include starch in your afternoon snack if you prefer.
 
If you have any other questions, post them to the comments and I'll answer.
 


21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, any kind as long as they are not covered in sugar. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome. I was planning on this anyway. Thanks Miki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do condiments count? For example, there are 2g of sugar in my salad dressing? Or if I make a healthier version of sloppy joes and eat that meat in a lettuce wrap instead? (has ketchup in it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Don't need to count condiments as starch. But yes, love the idea of eating it in lettuce instead of a bun.

      Delete
  5. Delaney wants to know if you are just running out of ideas, cause if so, her and Maya can help you out with some better ones....like have dessert with every meal:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they can run the next challenge which would pretty much give me job security. Win win! ;) Love those cute girls.

      Delete
    2. I say yes, let's try dessert at every meal. My kind of challenge. =]

      Delete
  6. I love this. I think this is just what I need this week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone have a brand/recipe of humus they like? I have yet to find one that I love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My absolute favorite is Trader Joes. If I can't make it down there then I use the one Costco sells...but I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to hummus. Maybe someone else can weigh in here?

      Delete
    2. I tried the Edamame Hummus from Trader Joes several weeks ago and I really liked it.

      Delete
    3. Cooks Illustrated did 2 blind tastings of Hummus and the SABRA Classic Hummus, sold at Costco, was recommended. Also recommended was CEDAR Classic Original and TRIBE Classic Hummus. I do no know where the latter two are sold...

      Delete
    4. I just made 2 different kinds and it was SO dang easy!!!
      http://foodbabe.com/2011/05/18/homemade-hummus/
      I ommited the beets and carrots and substituted roasted red peppers and made another batch with the basil, arugala and pine nuts. It was awesome!

      Delete
  8. If it fits it blends. LaDee makes a great homemade humas, maybe she can post it.? !

    ReplyDelete

NutriFit Participants: If you don't have an account with any of the forms listed, please click on "Name/URL" and add your name there.